Hong Kong FastFacts! Map of Hong Kong
Home Forum Hotels Food Shopping Festivals Transport Sightseeing Links About Us Sitemap
  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation

Post new topic     Reply to topic    Hong Kong FastFacts Forum Index -> Q&A Forum -> Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation
tillielouwho
Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation / Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation

We have an exchange student from Hong Kong staying with us. We are a touchy family. I went to touch the student's knee and he pulled away. The other day, the representative from the organization touched his hand and again, he pulled away. Is this a difference in culture or have we offended him? 
Google

Ads by Google  

Raymond
Site Admin
Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: / Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation

That's a great question tillielouwho! It is very sensitive to note this and to check.

Of course there are plenty of personal variation from person to person in any culture but I'd say that Hong Kong people are generally less touchy than, for example, Italians.

Many HK people would simply not really notice touches but certainly some would be disturbed by it. Even within families there is probably less touching in HK than in most European or US families. e.g. no kissing the head of children, or hugging of friends. Even handshaking is not common for students, though adults particularly in a business situation are fine with that.

I can imagine a HK student staying overseas might feel a bit out of his depth and hence nervous and therefore oversensitive also.

My suggestion would be to avoid any additonal contact -- particularly skin-to-skin.

I hope that helps.

Raymond

Previous topics   Replies   Author   Views   Last Post 
No new posts Satay Inn - Southeast Asian Clay Pots
0 The Royal Pacific Hotel 1191 Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:36 pm
No new posts “DIALOGUE BETWEEN MOUNTAIN AND CLOUDS”
0 Karin Weber Gallery 994 Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:33 am
No new posts An evening on Giselle - the essence of Romanticism
0 Hong Kong Ballet 1356 Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 am
No new posts Hong Kong Water: safe to drink?
2 BettyBMigliore 1084 Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 pm
No new posts Custom furniture for children's room
1 Johnford 1214 Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hong Kong FastFacts Forum Index -> Q&A Forum -> Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation All times are GMT + 8 Hours

Page 1 of 1
The messages about Can a woman touch a man's hand, arm in conversation on this page were written by the authors above as indicated and do not express the opinion of this web site.